Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Went and done it.

Well, I went and did the dirty deed. Ordered everything.

Now I have until July 1, to pay off the credit cards...I made a deal with myself that I would order through regular channels for the foreseeable future, which should save me a couple hundred dollars a month in postage. I have a full store, after all. I can wait a few extra days for re-orders...

In this splurge I ordered regular books, 'sale' books, specialty dice, stand-ups, art books....all the material that I order less often. (It also has a whole different timing to it....it's taken two weeks for it to show up, and I'm still waiting for a couple of orders to arrive...)

Interestingly, most of the books came in, and filled every single space. I now have ZERO books face out; they are spine.

I filled a wall with dice. I still have some art books I'll need to find room for. In a sense, this is the highwater mark in my store's inventory. I've said that before, but this time....Well, there isn't another inch to be had. Even being creative, even piling it up. Only the ceiling is bare.

As I said, it's a little bit of an experiment; what would happen if I got everything in the store I ever wanted to get in the store, all at the same time. I figure I can let this stuff settle in over the next 3 months or so, and then hopefully start to see some returns this summer and Christmas.

I can afford it. And I've always wanted to try it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post Duncan but you should have kept up the "beard" theme -- it really generates the comments!

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Do a post about this months wonderful unemployment numbers! Only 13.4%!

Well, that's adjusted. The real number is 16.1%, the third highest monthly rate in modern history for Bend.

From today's Bully:

"Deschutes County lost more than 1,800 jobs from December 2009 to January 2010.

During the same period a year ago, it lost more than 2,500 jobs, according to the Employment Department.

The smaller number this winter is a positive sign, Eagan said."


Finally! Someone who Get's It! Losing 1,800 jobs is Fantastic News!

H. Bruce Miller said...

"I can afford it. And I've always wanted to try it."

That way lies madness, Dunc!

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Losing 1,800 jobs is Fantastic News!"

But we lost FEWER JOBS than we did in January 2009, which was a record-setting month for losing jobs! So compared to the 90-pound weakling (to borrow Dunc's favorite analogy) we're looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger! Huzzah!

Duncan McGeary said...

But our unemployment rate is up from last year, which means what?

Fewer people?

Jasper Hedren said...

ah, but the cieling IS bare.. this is why Im saying we can hang stuff from the cieling! we cold even hang whole shelving units. Get a whole cave-of-wonders feel going.. and if something falls and beans a customer then they get it for half off maybe? that element of danger will keep people coming back in droves