Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I chose a good family to be born into.

Tina's memorial was an amazing affirmation of her affect on this town.

I was impressed by my family, by how accomplished and especially how nice they all are. And the many friends who came.

I went the more -- 5 sloppy beers route than the sit in the corner route -- because there were so many people I knew, there. I wasn't going to get up and give a speech about Tina though, as much as I loved her, but I was glad my siblings and her friends did.

Very nice.

**********

I've been trying to imagine a Bend where both the Mercato project in the Old Mill and Juniper Ridge had been fully developed. It would have meant, in effect, that Bend had kept growing at the explosive growth rate.

But with, as far as I can tell, no realistic plans for infrastructure improvement, and also as far as I can tell, no real new jobs creating industries to keep it all afloat when the boom did end.

Economic cycles are necessary, they say; the booms to build up the capacity, the busts to sweat out the excesses.

**********

I was asked three different times by different family members if I ever went skiing.

I skied just about every weekend from the age of 6 to the age of 18; and probably a grand total of a dozen times after that; and not at all in the last 30 years.

I was googling my name the other day, and up pops and old article about a ski race where me and another local fellow had both reached "Expert" status by winning some races-- the highest ranking you could get to in those days while still in H.S. I came in 2nd in the particular race that put me over the top. (Curse you Greg Snyder, wherever you are!)

I was working too hard and making too little money for most of these years. Now? If Linda was a skier, I might actually think about it. I did really enjoy skiing, but also thought it was a huge production and I don't much like huge productions anymore.

No comments: