Thursday, May 25, 2023

The following is the post I was referring to in the last post. 

A little explanation. Diamond Distributors, which once had more or less a monopoly on comic wholesaling, has recently lost the 3rd largest comic publisher. This after already losing the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th largest comic publishers. 

The reason I posted is because there are idiot retailers who are cheering all this. They're cheering for the possible downfall of the entire comic book market. It's because of stuff like this that I have pivoted into emphasizing books, (65% of the business), and toys, and games. I've kept comics up to the level they are, but I'm not depending on them anymore to keep the doors open. 

As follows:


According to one source, ( https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-statistics/number-of-businesses/comic-book-publishing-united-states/ ), there are 266 comic publishers in the USA.
 
According to ICv2, the top ten publishers account for 90% of all sales. https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/50226/comic-store-publisher-market-shares-q4-2021.
 
So where are these publishers going to go if Diamond goes down? Will Lunar or PRH be willing to take on companies that publish one or two or three 4.99 comics on a periodic basis? Somehow, I doubt it.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I order most of my posters, pins, t-shirts, supplies, magnets, lots of games, card games, and most of my toys from Diamond.
 
Where do I go to get these items if Diamond goes down? Do I need to get an account with each and every supplier of product to Diamond?
 
Even if I wanted to, it isn't possible.
 
I'm sure most of us will muddle through somehow, but I really believe this is an example of "Watch out what you wish for."
 
Personally, I've pivoted to new books, which is a much bigger market. I'm in a place where I can do that, fortunately. 
 
But I think I'm going to be missing the old days...

No comments: