Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Honest question: does it matter to you if you put back something where you found it?

Went into the store today for the sole purpose of vacuuming. It's hard to summon the energy to do this during after-hours, so I usually have to set aside time during the day. Ash has been doing a great job of sweeping and cleaning, so not a lot to do, except get behind some of the moveable fixtures. 

Then Ash and I both went around and tried to wipe up all the coffee stains.

I swear that everyone who has a cup of whatever fluid they are drinking manages to spill a couple of drops, sometimes a lot of drops. I'm talking hundreds of small splatters everywhere. Can't keep people from coming in with drinks--not in downtown Bend where just about every tourist has something in their hands. Nor is there any point in telling them they can't bring in dogs. They just do it, these days. 

Anyway, this is where I come to the real complaint of this blog. OK, maybe not a complaint, but a sincere question, which I present without ire or any intention of shaming, but out of sheer curiosity.

When you pick up an item in a store, are you consciously aware of putting it back where you found it? Or is this something you just don't think about? Maybe you think it's the clerks job?

Anyway, I could swear that only a few people make the effort. I know in my store, which is packed, it can take a slight bit of effort to find and replace an item. But it is a very tiny bit of extra effort. 

I'm asking not because I'm annoyed about having to go around and tidy things up--I do this anyway. 

No, it's time between when the item is misplaced and the time that I get to it that I'm worried about. An item out of place can't be found by me or any customer if it isn't in the right area or alphabetical order. Worse, if an lower selling item is placed on top of a better selling item, the better selling item won't sell. I can't tell you the number of times someone has asked for a title, only to find it somewhere else after they left. 

So the question I'm asking: is this something you think about? Or is it just one of those things that are too inconsequential, for you, to pay attention to?

Again, I'm not mad, just curious. I'm sure I do things in other people's businesses that I'm not aware causes trouble. 

Bottom line, the weird thing about this is that in most cases it is absolutely just as easy to put something back where you picked it up as it is to put it somewhere else. 

OK. Done complaining. I doubt things will change much, but there it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duncan, I always return to where it came from. You will even catch me properly folding clothing and putting it back where it should be. Pit fall of being in retail for so long.

Duncan McGeary said...

LOL. Yeah, I find myself straightening up other stores, even places like Safeway. I can't stand to see things out of place.