Friday, May 26, 2023

I don't hate much, but Jack Welch?

I remember the visceral response I had to my first exposure to Jack Welch. All I knew about him at the time was that he was the highly (highly!) regarded CEO of General Electric.

The more the interview went on, the more I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle him. 

All those things you hate about corporations? He embodied them. 

But for a long time, I felt like I was the only one who saw behind the curtain. He continued to be voted the "most admired" CEO in America, and GE continued to increase in value.

Then Jack Welch retired and the whole house of cards collapsed.

Evil Bastard. No really, there are whole books written about him. "The Man Who Broke Capitalism: How Jack Welch Gutted the Heartland and Crushed the Soul of Corporate America--And How to Undo His Legacy" by David Gelles. 

One of the more recent episodes of the podcast, "Behind the Bastards," is about him, if you don't feel like reading an entire book. 

So anyway, there's the new CEO of HBO/Warner Brothers et. al. David Zaslav, busily destroying everything good about HBO and ancillary streaming services, giving a commencement address and being booed. 

Then he quotes Jack Welch.

Yep. The Evil Bastards are still in charge and no one ever learns a thing.

https://slate.com/culture/2023/05/hbo-max-cannes-idol-bu-david-zaslav.html

No comments: