Thursday, September 24, 2020

Time to quit wallowing in it.

 "The Social Dilemma." On Netflix.

OK. I knew most of this stuff, but it was still alarming. I was already feeling unsettled by the state of the world. I think it's time to change my viewing and browsing habits.

I'm going to try to go to Facebook only twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, and try to limit it even there. Twitter and Reddit I'm going to stop completely. No great loss with Twitter and Reddit was always a time waster.  

I'm going to make Qwant my browser.

I'm going to stop watching MSNBC. I'm annoyed with them already for showing so many Trump speeches and almost nothing from Biden. Plus, I always feel terrible after watching.

So my news from now on will be PBS, the Bulletin in the morning, my online newsites, Slate, Huffington Post, and the Daily Beast--no click baiting! Yes, I know they are slanted in the direction I want, but it isn't a sledgehammer effect like listening the Rachel Maddow for an hour.

It's probably time to subscribe to the New York Times and/or the Guardian. (I've been annoyed with the Times since the Iraq war--I felt misled by their reporting. But given the alternatives...)

It's just time to quit wallowing in it.

No comments: