Tuesday, September 22, 2020

End of writer's block?

I've had a bit of writer's block. It's not that I don't have ideas...I have lots of ideas, but I'm torn about which of them I should write. In other words, I'm trying to make them count. 

Of course, if I would just pick one and write it, it would get done. Waiting in indecision isn't getting me anywhere.

One thing that happens when I'm like this, is sometimes I just purposely choose to do something I wouldn't have ever thought to do.

For instance, Geoff at Cohesion Press, has a series of weird military anthologies that has hooked up with Netflix for a cartoon series. The more action packed the better, with as many big monsters as possible.

Ordinarily, military isn't my thing. Nor are big monsters.

But damn if a premise didn't immediately come to me. A really terrific premise, in my opinion. I went to read the specs for the anthology, which also wanted a "holy" element, and damn if my story didn't call for it. So there you are. I'd watched some of the Netflix cartoons, so I have a pretty good idea of what they're looking for. 

Monsters and action I can write if that's what I know I'm going to write. 

I have up to ten thousand words, so I can fit a nice story within that. 

Wrote the first thousand words this morning, setting it up. (Yes, it probably should have an action scene to start out, but I really like the way I did it.)

From this point on, I'm ready for every page to be action...heh. 

I have no expectation that the first short story I ever submit to someone is going to succeed. But I think this story is worth writing anyway.

2 comments:

Dave Cline said...

If you need a beta reader...

Duncan McGeary said...

I do indeed. Got to finish....