Saturday, September 26, 2020

The more action and monsters, the better.

I've got the beginning of my new story, and I've got the end statement. Now all I need to do is write all the action scenes and monsters inbetween. Those are the marching orders, and knowing this editor, I have a pretty good sense that he means it. The more action and monsters, the better.

Again, I'm not expecting to succeed. For one thing, my set up of a thousand words, only the last hundred words is action, which I suspect won't cut it. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to be willing to make changes I don't believe in. 

When I was writing Snaked, I thought the first critiques were right on. But the further asks for modifications kind of warped the novel a little more than I wanted. That was as much my own fault for not figuring out a way to make those changes efficiently, but still...

It's funny. In all my writing, I've really only had this one editor request changes. I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that either editors like a story or they don't. 

Like I said, I thought the changes improved the book overall, except a couple at the end. 

Anyway, I'll let this story become what it becomes. I really want it to be science fiction, but just reading about gravity and space elevators was enough to make me wonder if can do it in a way that would meet the standards of S.F.

No comments: