Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The writing is the thing.

I'm back to walking consistently, but not so much the writing. An entire month has gone by without much production. I finished a chapter of "Ruby Red and the Robot" a few hundred words at a time over 4 days. I've decided to finish it, even if it only turns out to be a novella. Straight to the ending--which isn't a bad policy in any case.

Meanwhile, I've yet to find a good solid 4 mile path at my new walking spot. It is much busier out there than my old spot, but I think I can avoid most of that. But so far, I haven't found a path long enough to make it a round-tripper. But at the same time, I'm exploring.

Redmond is a few degrees warmer than Bend, but that few degrees seems to make a difference. Snow in Bend a couple of days ago, but none in Redmond.

I'm still monitoring the BookBub boost. After the initial three day boost, it started dropping fast for three days, then seemed to settle into a range that, while much lower than the start, is also much higher than my normal numbers. I had no idea whether the promotion had any legs at all, so as far as I'm concerned, this last week has been a bonus.  (Actually, I described that backward--the lower the ranking the better, but I used the opposite...so as not to confuse...?)

I'm feeling a sort of success letdown, if you know what I mean. Accomplishing a goal and then finding myself sort of taking a step back. It's a weird reaction. Of course, "success" is relative. I mean, the increase in sales only pointed out how solid the big authors have a hold on the upper tiers. Like any other artistic endeavor, I suppose.

I've been making steady but slow progress, so I'm thankful for that.

I just need to keep reminding myself, the writing is the thing.

No comments: