Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New Year, same as the Old Year

My resolution isn't so much to start anything (or stop anything) new, but to simply do what I've been doing for the last six years.

Writing and walking. Walking and writing.

My pace has slowed down, partly because I've accomplished so much. I could continue on at that pace, but to what end? I'm thinking it's time to slow down, to give each book some breathing room, especially after the first draft is written.

Deadfall Ridge is a great example of that. I finished it and sent it off to a publisher--didn't hear back from him, so had some second thoughts and tried to spice the book up and sent that version off--then didn't hear back, and so then combined the best of both versions. This last version was by far the best.

Fortunately, I also found the right publisher. The original publisher left me hanging. What's ironic to me is that my book is currently nestled between two of that publisher's books in the rankings. Wonder if he noticed.

Crossroad has done right by me and I'm glad I could send it to them.

A couple of lessons there. I shouldn't send off a book until it's ready, and I need to give myself time to think about it.

Thing is, I often don't get these second thoughts until after I've committed. It's like the actual commitment is what triggers the re-evaluation.

So not sure how to get around that.


No comments: