Monday, October 19, 2015

It's the premise that counts.

Writing for me isn't a matter of whether I can do it. I seem to have a lot of creative energy. It's a matter of choosing which direction I want to go. If I choose a project, I can generally finish it.

I'm learning that it really isn't the writing that counts, it's the premise.

Of course, you have to deliver on the premise, but that seems to be a given -- publishers expect you to be a competent writer, that's the starting point.

The selling point is the premise.

I think I've had some decent premises, which I'm pretty proud of. But they have limited reach. Only some people want to read about hyperintelligent wild pigs on the rampage. Only some people are interest in historical horror, with werewolves and Bigfoot and ghosts.

It's a self-limiting proposition.

There are advantages to exploring a niche, you are more likely to catch the people who like that specific premise, but there is also a built in ceiling.

On the other hand, a bigger premise, let's say vampires, isn't specific enough for reader of vampire books to want to read your book specifically.

So what I'm trying to do now is write a thriller, which has a much bigger reach, but to have a specific premise within that broader category.

I think I've done that. We'll see.

No comments: