Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Impulsive or patient?

For me, it takes a weird combination of both to get anywhere.

I need the impulsiveness to take the first big step. If I think about it too long, I'll usually talk myself out of it. Sometimes I'm not quite ready, but if I try to wait until I'm ready, it also never happens.

But once committed, if I actually get a response from the first impulsive move, then I try to be very patient.

So for instance, I've made some impulsive moves over the years in my business -- the biggest is jumping on a location and opening a business when I have the chance.

On the other hand, I've been very, very patient in my downtown location, through all the ups and downs, despite not having enough space, despite some of the inconveniences.

Once I set down a path, I'm very patient and rarely quit.

So too in writing. Almost all my approaches to publishes has been a spur of the moment thing. Then once there, I try to be very patient, wait for things to develop.

In the store, I'll often impulsively decide to carry a particular product line, but then I'm patient about developing that product lines, sometimes for years, before it finally takes hold.

So...I don't tend to move much, change much, but when I do it is generally impulsive.  But once I start, I just keep on going.

No comments: