Friday, April 17, 2015

Looking forward to a rewrite.

Looking forward to a rewrite is very unusual for me.  I don't much like rewrites.

But in this case, I think I have a chance to make the book much stronger without risking the existing material. 

Basically, I have two story lines -- the human POV characters and the Tuskers POV characters.  I interweave the two plots, but they are connected more thematically than sequentially for most of the book until they come up against each other in the final clash.

When I say Tuskers POV, I mean a character named Napoleon.

I really want to start over with him.  I have more of a character journey for him in mind now; a specific point of view.  I'd like to write him as a very distinct character. 

If I can do this, it will make the book much better.

I may get started and find myself over my head, but I'm eager to try.  I'm going to spend a fair amount of time just thinking about it, which is unusual for me -- but in this case, I have most of the book done so that overwhelming prospect is out of the way, allowing me to really bear down on this one aspect.

I really want Napoleon to come alive.

No comments: