Monday, April 6, 2015

Famous last words?

Landscaper called a month and a half ago wanting to get started.

"Call me back in mid-April," I said.

"You sure?"

"This is Bend.  Mid-April is soon enough."

"Okaaaayyyy....."

My poor bleeding heart in front of the house got a little too exuberant.  It's drooping now.

I always make the joke that the gardening departments in Bend make twice as much money as anywhere else.  They sell the same plants twice, once in March and once in May.

*****

Woke up and my wifi was down.

My life felt empty.

There's something wrong with that feeling.

*****

Finally put my chapters on Tuskers III in order yesterday.  I had a sinking feeling about it.

Woke up this morning and realized that if I switched the second and sixth chapters, and rewrote them slightly, they would be so much better.

The lesson being -- Sleep on it.

*****

I don't want to like Frank Sinatra for some reason.  After watching the first half of the documentary last night, I think I understand him a bit more.

It is a Sinatra production, so I think it whitewashes a lot.  The whole "met some gangsters in Cuba once and everything else is made up" posture is ridiculous.  I've read enough reliable stories elsewhere to know that there is more to the story.

I still remember my Mom's comment when Elvis died.  "I don't understand the fuss," she said.  "Now if it was Sinatra..."

Seeing those pictures of Bobbysoxers, I couldn't help but see my Mom in the audience.  heh.

*****

I want to finish up the books I'm committed to, but then I want to write One-ups.  Each as different as possible.

This will both keep me fresh, and let me discover more what my strengths and weaknesses are.

I thought of a title to a second Golem book: The Too Quiet Man.  But I need to resist writing it.

But if I do, it will be a standalone, part of a series.  Just like the next Virginia Reed book.  No more of these long continuing stories like The Vampire Evolution Trilogy or Tuskers.  It's too hard.

*****

They shot a cougar on Pilot Butte, about half a mile from my house.

The paper this morning had this advice.  "Don't hike alone."

Well, fuck that.  I walk in the Badlands (15 miles east of town or so) all the time.  I'm not going to stop.

Famous last words?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Well, fuck that" are excellent last words.

Almost as good as "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Jim Cornelius
www.frontierpartisans.com