Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I have an oeuvre?

I've been trying to figure out where Manic Pixie Dream Girl Murders: Blood of the Succubus fits into the Duncan McGeary oeuvre.  (I have an oeuvre?)

This is a story about a Succubus.

There's sex scene in the first chapter.  I passed it around a little to see how it went over, and was told that it was "the right amount of explicit" for the scene.  I was even told it was relatively "tame."

But I've followed that up with another half a dozen sex scenes.  In every case, it was in service to the story.  I'm trying to be measured and tasteful.  I really can't see how this story can be written without them.  There will be more sex scenes to come.

And frankly, the sex gives a certain amount of energy to the story.  The sex scenes, in essence, are the action scenes. 

Anyway, I was thinking it might be a shock to people who read Led to the Slaughter.  But maybe I'm overthinking it.

Thing is, it really does fit the story.  It is the story in some ways.  I'm not trying to be explicit -- I'm not going for an "ick" factor.  In fact, I'm probably trying to be as vague as possible in the sex scenes and still get the idea across.

But...there is definitely a lot of sex.

If I can sell this book to a publisher, I'll let them worry about how to describe it.  They probably have more of a sense of how such a book fits in the modern publishing world. 

I can't change the book.  It is what it is.  I mean, it's rolling out of me fully formed and vivid.  I'm in a honeymoon period, where I love what I'm writing, but I think it's the best thing I've written.

No comments: