Friday, April 3, 2015

A pleasing balance.

I don't know if I'm being silly or pretentious, but I include in thinking about my writing such things as "themes" and "architecture." (There are probably technical terms for what I'm saying, but since I don't know them, I've made up my own terminology.)

I have three different viewpoint clusters in Tuskers III -- not just different viewpoint characters, but clusters of viewpoint characters separated by time and space from other clusters, but connected in the plot.

So when I have too many chapters with one cluster, it makes the book feel lopsided, somehow.  In an architectural sense.

So I find myself looking for the other clusters to counter-balance that.

For instance, I have quite a few chapters in Tuskers III with new characters.  I have a few chapters with older, main characters, and the biggest addition is a third cluster from the viewpoint of the Tuskers themselves. 

I'm having no trouble with the first cluster, the new humans. 

I've got a plan in mind for the second cluster, the former main characters.  They'll come in strong at the end, where they belong.

The third clusters seems sparse. I feel like I need a couple more early chapters from the viewpoint of Napoleon, the main Tusker character.

But the story so far hasn't offered a reason for those chapters.

Nevertheless, I feel like the book is lacking chapters from that viewpoint.  There has to be something I'm missing, otherwise the book would feel complete and it doesn't.  It's lacking something -- a pleasing balance, if you will.

So today's task will be to come up with those counter-balancing chapters.  I may spend most of the day thinking about it, before I write.  The new chapters have to be legit.  They can't just be chapters for chapters sake.

But because the architecture of the story demands it, I'm positive they are there.

No comments: