Saturday, August 2, 2014

Have started Tuskers II and other things.

I've started writing Tuskers II but at a very moderate pace.  The Tuskers experience was pretty crazy, and not something I'd try to duplicate.  Unless, of course, it comes on me in a frenzy like that, then how could I refuse?

Thing is, I'm staring at the computer for so long, my eyes are having a hard time.  If I make the mistake of getting up and driving somewhere it's like my eyes can't adjust.  I have to remind myself to lay down and close my eyes for like fifteen minutes to let them to shift back.

I saw a documentary on the Woodmans last night, who are (were) artists.  And it made the case that artists are so focused they are dysfunctional in the real world.

To get away from my computer, I've been going to the Bookmark and helping out there.  Linda got like 450 books yesterday, for instance, which is like having a Volkswagen beetle bug land on your table.  She feels pretty overwhelmed at times.

I'm a whiz at filing.  I'm quick, and decisive.  My goal is to get every book we have out on the floor if possible and to find ways to do that.

Plus, I kind of enjoy it.  And I get to talk to people.

I could go to my own store to talk to people, but that become more intensive and interrupts the rhythm of my employees   My own store is humming along, thanks to Cameron and Matt, so I prefer to leave them to it.




I'll be doing the final rewrite of The Dead Spend No Gold next week.  My two editors were supposed to just sort of copy-edit this time, but they found some more substantial things for me to do.

So I'm not one to turn down possible improvements.

I'll have to be very careful this time.  Not just click acceptances, and not just mash the two edits together.  I need to take each page and be sure it is completely done before moving on.

I'm going to ask Lara to do one more quick clean edit.  Nothing but copy-editing.

I think there is a point of diminishing returns in rewrites.  The book was good, it got better, I'm hoping it will get better again.  That's it.

No comments: