Sunday, August 31, 2014

Finished! Tuskers II.

It's always a euphoric feeling to finish a book.

Wow.  I did that.

Finished right on schedule.  Tuskers II is currently about 42K words long.  I figure it will probably be about 45K long by the time I finish rewriting it.

Tuskers I is about 47K long, probably 50K by the time I rewrite it.  Short books, but not outrageously so.  It's going to be a trilogy.  The whole saga will be one long book.  Tuskers III will be set in a real post-apocalyptic world, and I'm looking forward to writing it.

The goal was to get to the end by the shortest path possible.  No detours, no lollygagging.  Straight to the point all the way.

I really like these two stories.  I allowed myself to be as over the top as I wanted.  The books benefited from that.  But no matter how outrageous I try to be, I tend to want to ground my stories in some kind of reality.  I want to be both outrageous and believable.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle Tuskers III just yet.  I'm going to do a quick rewrite of Tuskers I over the next three days and send it to Lara.  After that, we'll see.

I have plenty of directions I can go from here.  Plenty of material that needs to be rewritten.

But sometimes a new idea pops up at these moments.  Sometimes the subconscious demands I go someplace new.  And I always listen to that voice.

I've settled into a nice writing routine.  I just need to keep that going.

No comments: