Friday, October 25, 2013

Ordered a ton of books. No, really, a ton of books.

Well, if each book weighed a pound or two.  I weighed a thick hardcover and it was 1.4 pounds, but most paperbacks probably barely register.

The point being, I ordered every book on my wish list -- plus.

I had several months worth of books on my list -- many of the books were ones that sold over and over again.  That really pops out, that my lists often consist of the same books again and again. 

I need to try to make certain that once I ascertain a book is a self-seller, that I keep it in stock.

Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children
How to Tell if Your Cat is Trying to Kill You.
The Game of Thrones series.
Wildwood
Ready Player One
Hunger Games series.
City of Bones series.
Name of the Wind
Ender's Game.
Wild.
Gone Girl.
Neil Gaiman
Neal Stephenson

And so on....

Anyway, I've loved carrying books partly because once I have a base stock in place, they continue to sell even if I don't make constant reorders.

But obviously, they might sell even better if I was making constant reorders.  The minimum for affordable shipping from my wholesaler is pretty low -- only 10 units at a time, mix and match.

So I've decided to put that to the test.  I'm going to order all the books that have a history of selling, pick out a handful of new best-sellers in hardback, and continue to stock up on classics and cult books.

Then keep reordering and having them shipped every time I go over 10 units.

Support the book part of the store completely and fully for several months and see what happens.

It may not result in immediate sales, we'll see, but I'm certain that there is still a ton of potential in the book trade.

It will be a challenge to fit them in, but I always seem to find a way. 

No comments: