Monday, October 28, 2013

Moving usually isn't the answer.

Linda and I drove to another town to check out a bookstore.  It had moved.  We looked for its new location and it was out of business.

Funny thing about location.  It's super important -- the old saying in business is that the three most important things in business are location, location, and location.

So you try to pick the best site you can afford.

But after that, my recommendation is you stick with it -- make that location work for you.   I can't tell you the number of times I've seen an existing business move -- and then fail. 

I'm not saying there aren't times you should move -- but be very careful.  The grass isn't always greener, bigger isn't always better.  There are strengths and weaknesses to every location -- for instance, the Bookmark has great drive-by visibility, but lousy walkby.  My store is exactly the opposite; great walkby, lousy drive-by.

So you adapt your store to your location and make it work.

No comments: