Monday, October 7, 2013

Harry Pinkett Star Wars

I got caught watching the Harry Pinkett Star Wars Prequel reviews on Youtube.

At first because they were amusing.

But the more I watched, the more apropos to my own writing problems the criticism became.

He completely tears apart Lucas's writing, basically.  Also his directing and producing, but I was paying attention to the writing.

The plot holes and inconsistencies, the lack of logical character development, the clunky dialogue, and so on.

He basically makes the case that Lucas didn't spend enough time developing his story, and didn't get enough outside input.  That he didn't think it through.

At least that's what I took from it:  He didn't think it through.

I've more or less decided that my next effort will be researched and plotted and outlined before I start.  That I will think through all the characters and motivations.   That I will try harder to eliminate logical inconsistencies. 

It may be a recipe for Writer's Block.  I don't know.

But I think I have to try.

No comments: