Monday, September 2, 2013

The plot thickens.

Or rather, gets complicated.

I'm trying to wrap up three books worth of story threads and character fates.  It's not over the top, I don't think.  It works.  But for the first time, I'm losing tracks of things.  I dropped a character completely by accident, though it was easy enough to put her back in.

It's just that I'm now trying to manage the events of over 200,000 words.  How did I describe that character?  What was that character's name?

I've never kept notes or graphs because I've always been able to keep it in my head.  Because most of my books are around 70,000 words,  I could always keep the whole story on track.

But this is three books worth of plot I'm trying to wrap up.

I know that I'm on track, but I also know that I'm going to have to go back and check a bunch of things.  My editor may really earn her money with this book.

It's like being able to juggle.  3 items, no problem.  4 or 5, easy.  6, 7 getting a little harder, 8, 9 oops. dropped one.

Anyway, I'm going to have to go over this a few times, try to catch what I left out and what I need to add.  Something I'm realizing is that each book is a little different.  Some need more rewriting than others, some I'm more willing to do more rewriting than others.  (Unfortunately, not always the same books.)



No comments: