Monday, September 30, 2013

Missing the big shows.

Because of the vagaries of the local cable, there were shows we couldn't get.  Other shows were premium shows that we couldn't afford at the time.

The two biggies are Soprano's and Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad just because I didn't start at the beginning.

Soprano's because I didn't have HBO.

I've watched exactly two episodes of Soprano's.  In both cases, I caught them sideways.  The first I watched through a grainy screen.  The other, I started watching about 1/3rd the way through.

Nonetheless, both were excellent.  Better than that even.  Some of the best stuff I've ever seen.

So why haven't I watched these shows now that I can get them on Netlix?  I think it's just the sheer size of the catching up I'd have to do -- the commitment.

Strange that you can get a pretty good idea of what a show's thing is -- and its strengths -- just second-hand.

There's this weird thing -- if enough time passes, enough misses -- I sometimes never do watch or read a major title.

In comics, I've never read Maus.  I know I should.  I know I would probably like it.

I'm not at all certain why I haven't.

I held off watching There Will Be Blood until a couple of weeks ago.  I loved it.

So why don't I?  What is this denying myself the pleasure?

Maybe cause I like to know there is still good stuff I haven't seen?  Or maybe I feel that it's a rabbit hole and that it never ends and the definition of "must watch" will just  keep getting bigger and bigger?

I really don't know.

1 comment:

Duncan McGeary said...

Maybe the idea that I simply "must" watch something makes it too much like homework? Instead of my own idea?