Friday, September 20, 2013

Spinning off words in my dreams.

I was spinning off words in my dreams last night.  Everytime I woke up, it was like I was in the middle of writing a scene.  It was dream logic, so most of it didn't apply, but I could also tell that some of it did.

 I hope I didn't lose anything.

The premise of this book is too big, too unwieldy, too full of paradoxes and contradictions.  Then again, that's what makes it potentially interesting, if I can figure out credible ways to explain everything.

I did wake up with a major plot point, which should complicate things.  If I listen to my subconscious, it is fully engaged and trying to come up with a solution and sending me ideas, none of which really fix the existing problems but do make things more interesting.

I'm trying to work out the plot now so I don't have to redo later.  I have a cast of characters, and I need to set them against each other, but the motivations need to be clear and believable -- meanwhile, the premise is somewhat grey and getting complicated.

I've got the next chapter figured out, and maybe the one after that, so I can hope I will have further ideas about the plot over the next day or so.

I'm convinced there is a solution to every plot problem -- as long as you come up with them before you've committed to something else.  (For instance, I had the whole second half of Faerylander written before I realized there was a premise that simply didn't work -- I can work around it, but I can't really fix it.)

If I think about it long enough, there will come that moment when it will all make sense.

No comments: