Thursday, August 15, 2013

Writing a synopsis.

So when I was talking about "distractions" from my writing, the article about me in the Bulletin was one of them.

Working today and then I'm diving back into Blood of Gold tomorrow.  I'm actually writing faster than the processes of finalizing the books can handle.  That is, I have to come up with covers to the books, wait for my editor to finish editing, and wait for my tech guy to find the time to help me format the books and covers.

Meanwhile, I keep writing.

I'm trying to write a two page synopsis of Led to the Slaughter.

Being detailed, it is pretty bare bones.  You can't put much artistic flourish into short descriptive paragraphs.  That's why it's a freaking book.

The options are to make the letter longer -- say three or four pages -- and add some artistic flourish.

Or to make it shorter -- say one page -- and just sort of hint at everything with a sort of blurby flavor.

I'll probably do both and experiment with them.

Back in the day, the publishers of Star Axe asked me for a short synopsis of the novel.  I responded with a very blurby kind of boosterish hinting of the story.  I have to say, I think I did a good job of it.  To my great surprise, when the book came out, my synopsis was on the back of the book, word for word.









No comments: