Thursday, August 29, 2013

I've always gone my own way.

More and more, I'm thinking the ebook route is right for me.

For one thing, I'm writing so much faster than the old traditional route could manage.  It's always been a once a year pace for publishers -- and it takes a year even from the moment of acceptance before a book can come out.

I suppose one could try to do both, though agents and publishers usually want you -- not just your one book -- on contract.  If they are going to invest time and money on you, they want the rights to the next book and the next.  Standard and understandable.

But I want to write what I want to write when I want to write it.  I don't want to stick one genre.  

I don't know if I try the agent route that it won't be more of a test of the current industry than it is of my own writing. 

But the main thing is, I don't think there is any need.

 Besides, they can find me that way, if needs be. 

Much like the store, I've always gone my own way.  Just hoped that people would find me and appreciate what I'm trying to do.

The idea of a clear open field I can enter without permission, without having to wait, is so appealing that it more or less unlocked my creative energies -- going through the old constipated systems might just slow me down, make me doubt myself, and keep me from following my inclinations.

Hard to argue with the amount of material I've produced over the last year.

Content is king.  Everything else comes after.

No comments: