Saturday, August 10, 2013

A cheap experience, not a good one.

To follow up on my previous post, that goes in spades for discounting.

So I'm seeing this phenomenon in my store of people really, really liking something -- really, really wanting it, and then not buying it because it's not discounted.

Not overpriced, mind you.  Just not on sale. 

Then they turn around and buy something on "Sale" that they seem only lukewarm about.

These aren't poor people I'm talking about.  These are people who if they bought the book they really wanted would probably never think about it again.

But it's worse than that.

Because the item they "really, really" want may be something they won't find anywhere else at any price, as least not without quite of bit of effort and even then it might cost them as much.

For example, let's say I know of a book that is a underground classic, a favorite among a few in-the-know people -- so I go out of my way to get it in the store, knowing that that it won't sell right away but knowing that if I carry enough of that type of thing, someone will buy it eventually.

That's my competitive advantage, if you will.  Carrying that thing that is just under the radar.

But I ask full price.  You know, the price on the cover.  Because I'm taking the risk of stocking something that isn't obvious, takes longer to sell, and requires some specialized knowledge.

That's all.  Not overcharging, just the original SRP.

And the person, who has probably had his or her eye out for that title forever and "can't ever find it" get's all excited, then asks, "How much?"

"The price on the cover."

They put it back.

Crazy.

We've lost sight of what really counts.

The experience itself.

We'd rather have a cheap experience than a good one.

No comments: