Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday musing.

Sub-conscious at work. We installed some Trex decking -- well, not trex but trex-like -- a couple of years ago, and have had a bit of trouble with staining. Not too much, but it seems unfortunate. We also have had a couple planks seemed to disintegrate on our front steps.

Woke up wide-awake at 6:00 this morning, with the knowledge -- the certainty -- that the metal and ceramic frogs we have lining the steps were the cause of the damage. That some chemical is leaching out of them onto the trex.

I'm moving the frogs to the garden, and we'll see if my sub-conscious was correct.

**********

The trouble with tailgaters is -- they drag you unwillingly into their moron universe.

You can avoid most morons.

If someones talking at a movie, you can get up and move, or get a refund, or whatever. If someone is talking loudly on a cell phone in your store, you can move to another part of the store or turn up the stereo, or something.

I mean. They're out there. But you can get around them.

Tailgaters? You can't avoid them. And if you have to stop suddenly, they'll crash into your backend, and you get dragged into their twittish mindset, dammit.

**********

If they ever carry out the death sentence on Randy Guzek, they'll need a wooden stake.

**********

Looks like the temperatures will get high enough and dry enough later in the week to do a little fall fertilizing on my new lawns. There are some bad patches, which is disheartening. I really don't think the landscaping guys did enough soil preparation. I've let the lawns be a little high all summer, hoping to retain moisture. Give them a nice solid start.

**********

Someone in England built a spiral staircase that is a bookshelf for an architectural contest that is absolutely awesome.

One of those things I would buy if I was a millionaire. (These days, I probably need to be a billionaire....)

But really, why couldn't someone build a bookstore from scratch that was based on that idea? Tower of London Books -- something like that. Have a few suits of armor in the corners, a Sword in a Stone. Come on, why not?

I'm pretty sure in some alternate universe, I've done that.

**********

I don't know if it's the drizzley weather, or what. But I've been thirsty for reading over the weekend. Read a book in one day (Cauldron, Jack McDevitt) and made a good start on a second book (Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss). I want to dive into the book again today, but I'm going to try to get out of the house, somehow. Maybe go visit the other bookstores? That'll keep me in the mood, but get me out of my room.

I managed to mow the lawn, and broke off to watch True Blood and Rubicon. True Blood seems to be over before you know it, and Rubicon -- well, I don't think I've ever seen a show with more dialogue silences, and walking into rooms and sitting down business nothing happening but everything happening. I don't think Rubicon is long for this world, but I keep watching...

7 comments:

Leitmotiv said...

oh man, I love The Name of the Wind! And to think, it's his first book. I had to reread it a second time, and it was just as good.

Spockgirl said...

Hello. This will be a blog hit and run. I just found your blog and started to read simply because of the Title. Hmm.. this guy must be in retail...a lot of time to read books... You've had a bookstore for that long and its still going? I am in awe. It is good to know that in difficult economic times people will still buy books... food, drink and cigarettes, not necessarily in that order.

Leitmotiv said...

The Name of the Wind is such a good book! I even had to reread it. Just as good the second time around.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book was 'steal this book' by abbey hoffman, maybe dunc can keep a few around for shoplifters?

Duncan McGeary said...

Dang. I keep ordering that book but it's never around when I do my inventory....

Leitmotiv said...

double post


double post

Duncan McGeary said...

That's Okay, That's Okay.