Friday, August 13, 2010

How rude.

"Jeld-Wen to end Tradition Sponsorship." KTVZ.

Wow. Nice timing. You'd have thought they could have at least waited until this year's event was over. Sort of unseemly-like....Wonder why they did that?

"Enjoy your meal, BECAUSE IT'S THE LAST ONE YOU'LL EVER HAVE!!!"

"Enjoy the party, BECAUSE IT'S THE LAST ONE I'LL EVER HOST!!!"

**********

A new book coming out, Stan Lee's How to Draw Comics.

As I said in my twitter, I imagine the first two lines are, "First you hire a guy name Jack Kirby. Then you hire a guy named Steve Ditko."

**********

Whenever I haven't seen someone for a few years, they always remark, "You've lost weight!'

Well, no.

I just leave a very heavy impression.

**********

It's hell when both of your competitors seem to be genuinely nice people. How can I be snarky about them if they're going to be that way? I like both Tina at Camalli Books and Hayley at Between the Covers.

So? Well, that just hasn't been all that true over the years. Most times, my competitors haven't even been friendly. Just one of those things.

**********

I seem to be very unlucky with local reviews of comic related movies. Watchmen, Kick Ass, and now Scott Pilgrim have gotten very strong rating at Rotten Tomatoes -- a large majority of reviewers liked them.

But not the reviewers in the local paper. What's with that?

**********

Friday the 13th. Luck for the Irish, my Dad always said, especially since I was born on the 13th and everyone in a while falls on a Friday. (Not this year, just saying....)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last summer was a summer of discontent for the bar's.

This summer is loaded with events and everyone is happy.

But next summer there will be NOBODY to pay for the events.

Welcome to Bend.

No more FREE.

Leitmotiv said...

Fresh Air's movie reviewer gave the Scott Pilgrim movie a meh rating.

Duncan McGeary said...

Rotten Tomatoes is still at 80%. Major critics at 76%.

Anonymous said...

"But not the reviewers in the local paper. What's with that?"

By this, do you mean The Bulletin? Doesn't The Bulletin just run Roger Ebert's movie reviews?

Duncan McGeary said...

Yeah, the Bulletin, so far. Maybe I should say, the "run" locally. Ebert seems to be missing in action, got to wonder about his health.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Dunc, your last comment doesn't make sense to me, re: "run" locally. But that's OK.

And re: Ebert, he is ANYTHING BUT missing in action. Are you kidding me? The Bulletin runs 2 or 3 of his reviews every week, his blog is updated regularly with long and fascinating posts, and he's probably the single most active, engaging and interesting presence on Twitter. He recently appeared on Oprah and Esquire ran a LONG profile of him a few months ago.

In other words, he's getting old and disease has robbed him of his ability to speak, but he's probably more productive right now than at any other point in his life.

It baffles me that you not only don't know this, you consider him "missing in action." The guy has been everywhere recently. His current status is pretty well-known.

You should pay attention to the outside world some time.

Duncan McGeary said...

"You should pay attention to the outside world some time."

If by this you mean 'media', you're pretty much off course here. Aren't a whole lot of people who pay more attention to pop culture and the media than me....

Though, I admit, I'm not an Ebert junkie like you.

I'll stand by my statement. My perception is that Ebert's reviews have slowed down. I feel he is being less active overall.

And this isn't a wild surmise; as you mention, he's been quite ill.

But....gee, if you go to his website every day and have him on Twitter, I'll grant you Ebert guru status.

Anonymous said...

Your perception is wrong though. Let's see ... a fixed view of the universe that refuses to budge despite evidence to the contrary. Congratulations! You could be a birther or a flat-earther or a Bible literalist or any number of crazy, annoying people. Ebert's health forced a hiatus, true, and I think he's on vacation or something now, but he's been back for a while.

Anonymous said...

I'm not talking about anything specifically, Dunc. I'm talking about paying attention to the world outside your head. I mean...you went to California and expressed surprise that they had highways more than four lanes wide. C'mon, man.

I'm sure you think you're tuned in, but I'm confident if I lobbed you a few questions about pop culture, you'd prove otherwise.

Stand by your statement on Ebert if you want. "Feel" he's less active if you want. It just makes you wrong.

Duncan McGeary said...

So...I have a "fixed view of the universe" because....I don't know Ebert's vacation schedule?

I feel like we're arguing backwards, here. Like you're saying I'm a nerd because I'm not an ubernerd....

Anonymous said...

No one's saying you're a nerd. Nor am I an ubernerd.

We're simply saying your view of Ebert as "missing in action" is quite misinformed. He was ill a few years ago, yes, but he's back from that and more prolific than ever in terms of writing, and he sat down for a couple of big interviews in recent months to tell his story and let everyone know he's anything but missing in action.

What's weird is that you don't seem to walk that view back a few steps, when you're clearly wrong.

Never mind your comment that the local reviews of comic-related movies don't match up with national reviews when, in fact, The Bulletin runs mostly reviews from Ebert, a national reviewer whose opinion on film towers above all others, and probably influences the national consensus on film, too.

Duncan McGeary said...

OK, you win.

I was misinformed. Though a minor sin, I think, about Ebert.

I'm sure that I've been wrong about other things too. In a way, a blog is a snapshot opinion, not a journalistic endeavor, but I'll grant you the Ebert thingie.

Melissa said...

Random comment: I was also born on the 13th and consider it lucky!