Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Curious what you guys think.

I don't have any real outrage over the economic conditions in Bend right now. More a curiosity about what others think. Once I realized that Summer wasn't going to produce the big profits I was hoping for, I kind of relaxed. It's relatively easy to break even, if that's my goal.

It forced me to look at my personal and business accounts a little closer, and it reminded me that -- well, we're in good shape. Better shape than I ever thought we'd be. So quit my grousing.

Cascades Bank. What seems noticeable about that is that there seems like a whole lot of information manipulation going on there. Revising, delaying, spinning and obscuring. I was going to post the other day about how I thought there would be legal ramifications down the road, and I should have posted it, because this morning there is a item about them being sued by the Idaho bank customers ... I'm betting there is more of that coming, assuming they avoid FDIC's bear hug.

Unemployment in Central Oregon. Up a little, down a little. In reality, we're pretty much where we've been over the last couple of years and where we're likely to be for another couple of years.

The Cycle. Well, I think some of us nailed it pretty good when it started. Without all the smoke and mirrors, the truth is it's going to take a long time for Central Oregon to get back to economic health. My old rule of thumb; when you've forgotten to keep looking for a recovery, and have gotten on with your life, that's when recovery will happen. That takes a loooooonnnnng time.

Houses. I can't help but think of all the people I told 3 years ago...........2 years ago.............last year -- "Hey, wait six months or a year, and the houses will be even cheaper!" I think that's still true.

Affordable Housing. Doe's anyone else think a more efficient use of that money would be to help people into EXISTING homes rather than building new ones? 900k for NEW housing? Crazy.

Tourism numbers. O.K. I'm confused. Just yesterday, they were saying they were up. Today, they're saying they are down, except for a 0.9 percent tick in Bend metro. area. Again, lots of spin. Besides, while it may be just my store, I just don't think the tourists are spending as much. Nationally, motels and restaurants are doing horribly. But Bend's different, right?

No comments: