Sunday, August 23, 2009

My last Sunday.

Let me be clear; only Sundays!

More and more, Sundays are looking like a lost cause. It isn't so much that people don't come in, but they have almost no intention of buying anything. They are on a downtown stroll. So, I'm going to be good with closing starting next Sunday on....

Regulars will adjust, I hope. I hate to do this to the other merchants, after spending so many years encouraging them to open. Just talked to Wendy across the street at Trivia Antiques, and she said she was having a good day.

Even so, I still don't want to hire anyone, and I can't work every day. Like I said, the impact on the bottom line is minimal when I do the math. Take out the cost of goods, and assume that regulars will be back on the rest of the week, it doesn't amount to much. I'll miss the occasional big day, but I'll also miss days like today where I did 60% of the numbers of people as a regular day, but only 15% of the sale.

So there you go.

The last three Sundays have been so crappy, that I don't feel bad about it. (Despite the fact, that this month will be my best month of the year, both in totals and even more importantly, by the smallest drop since last year....)

I should also mention, that I had huge Sundays all through July, probably because of the events. Before any of you yell, "Aha!" I want to point out that I've always been in favor of MOST events on Sundays, even in the Summer. O.K. well, maybe I've not been totally consistent. But, in general, I like events on otherwise slow days and weeks, and not so much on otherwise busy days, you know? It's the Fridays and Saturdays I wish they would avoid...

I'd close early today, except I've never closed during posted hours in 25 years, and I don't want to start now.

NOTE: Icing on the cake. Heard a couple drop something in the back of the store. They left hurriedly. Something told me not all was right, and I went back where I found they had dropped a entire glass of something, spraying water all over my books.

Here's the thing.

Accidents happen.

I caught it in time to wipe off the paper goods without damage. Good thing I checked, because this couple didn't inform me of the accident.

NOTE #2: Just to leave me with a twinge of doubt, my last customer of the day spent 125.00. Argghhh.

No comments: