Friday, August 21, 2009

Book profits.

Well, I know where my profits are coming from.

I found out through the reorder process.

I successfully stuck to my budget in August. I still have ten days to see what sales will turn out to be. There wasn't the big dropoff in the middle of the month like there was in June and July, but there is often a big dropoff in the last week of August, as attention turns to school -- especially if the weather changes, so I still need to be careful.

So far, it's staying hot, and there is the added plus of school resuming later than usual this year.

Anyway, I started with a fresh (Sept.) budget this week. Because there is enough time still in the summer to affect sales, and because it all comes due on the credit card at the same time, I weighted half my orders into the first week. 15% will be next week, 35% the third week, and nothing on the week of Labor Day. (School starts, and tumble weeds will waft through my store for a week or so....)

If this all seems obsessive, it's how it's done.

So I made my reorder for graphic novels, and replaced pretty much every book I wanted. I made my reorder for games, and replaced pretty much every game I wanted. I made my reorder for cards, and replaced pretty much every card I wanted.

All within budget.

I did my new book order the next day, because I knew it was going to be much bigger. I decided to double my order for books, because I had a record month in new book sales in July and was on pace to beat that record in August. I always leave a certain percent in my budget for whatever category needs to be increased.

I had intended to spend on 50% of the budget on books this week, and 50% in two weeks.

Well, I hit 50% and I wasn't even close to replacing all the books I'd sold. I kept going until the entire allocated amount was spent, and I STILL was only 70% toward replacing all the books I wanted replaced.

Much less adding any new titles.

So that's where the profits are coming from. It was hidden, because the sales velocity, the momentum, hasn't slowed the least. As I said, it appears I'll have a record month in new book sales again in August. Despite having sold so many significant titles.

I've mentioned before, it appears that having, say, 2000 great titles sells nearly as much as having 3000 great titles.

Obviously, though, I can't keep running down the inventory forever. And much of the sales momentum has been maintained by out-of-towners and tourists. When Fall starts, individual book sales are going to matter more, and shortages are going to impact more.

So I want to get back to the beginning of summer inventory -- plus.

How do I do that?

First thing I'm going to do, is see if August stays good. Right now, my average would result in profits about 1000.00 over estimate. So, I've decided, any profits over the projected estimates will be used to buy books.

If I don't end up with 'extra' profits, I'll have to contemplate buying more books on credit. I started off the year with a 5000.00 charge on books, which I've paid down at 500.00 a month and I am down to my last 1000.00. If I added another 1000.00 in books, and kept the 500.00 payment schedule, I'd have it paid off by the end of the year.

I always want to enter the 'dry' season with as little debt as possible.

It's important to reinforce successful products. And even more important not to let the momentum fall. (Building momentum from a dead start is ten times harder than keeper current momentum going...)

So either way, I'm going to make more orders.

Finally, I think this year will probably end without me making the big leap into 'frontlist' ordering -- (see Aug. 8 entry). I'm still concentrating on the 'backlist' -- books I know are good. Either favorites, cult, or classic. More than uses up my budget.

Was at my sister Tina's house last night, and the stack of new books that she has on her table always remind me of what I'd be up against. They all have Costco tags, and are half the price. Not sure when or if I'll go head to head with Barnes and Nobles and Walmart and Costco on 'frontlist' books.

I guess when I run out of 'backlist' books I want to carry....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be curious to know what titles, or category to titles, are the money makers for you.

Duncan McGeary said...

I concentrate on fiction, first of all, though I'm not adverse to carrying a small selection of what I call 'literary' non-fiction; all the Hunter S. Thompson books, all the Tom Wolfe non-fiction; I just added all the Jon Krakauer books, because they get asked for so much.

My best-sellers are what I would call the cult or hip authors. Chuck Palahniuk is king, but also Abbott, Vonnegut, Dick, Robbins, Karouac, Bukowski, and so on. Then the favorites-- the books I can rave about; Watership Down, Lord of Light, Armor, Snowcrash.


And finally, the quirky and the offbeat.

They all seem to sell, they all seem to stand out to the customer.

And I haven't run out of titles to bring in yet.

In fact, what's fascinating is how random and arbitrary my choices have been. A customer mentions a title, or a see a cover on an online site, or whatever and I think "that looks interesting" and I bring it in and it sells.

So I've just been trusting that 'instinct' so far.

Usually, I really do a bunch of research. But I've been doing books pretty much on the fly so far.

I'm pretty sure that when I feel I finally can make that final step; adding more bookshelves, bringing in more 'frontlist', that is will have a dramatic effect.

Or not.

Anyway, it's been fun so far, and I have no incentive to move past the method I've been using.

Anonymous said...

Cool. You have a niche shop and a quirky clientele who knows what they want and appreciates that you stock it. And fortunately, you're in an area with a sufficiently large population of these folk who either live here or pass through to keep the lights on.

Is your store a destination for some tourists? As in, "Honey, let's go to Bend -- I hear there's a cool shop there that stocks unusual action figures!"

At least you're not selling something dreary like, say, shoes: you'd be competing with many other shoe shops. There's always someone who's willing to live in a trailer to keep their overhead so far down that everyone else's profit margin goes razor-thin.

Of course, as you know, I keep hoping for a downtown magazine shop. But my buying is so narrow: The Atlantic, Harper's, Economist, Mama Jones, that my business wouldn't pay for the gas to bring the display rack to the shop.

I'm torn between paying much lower prices to subscribe to those mags, or paying full retail at B&N, a tiny portion of which goes into some Bend employees' pockets.

Duncan McGeary said...

"And fortunately, you're in an area with a sufficiently large population of these folk who either live here or pass through to keep the lights on."

*****I'd say, I'm in a downtown area that gets lots of foot traffic, and tourists.

"Is your store a destination for some tourists? As in, "Honey, let's go to Bend -- I hear there's a cool shop there that stocks unusual action figures!"

*****Not so much a trip to Bend, but definitely, once they are in town, they make the destination.
I'm also lucky that I don't have to pay ALL my overhead from sales of new books, but only part.

Duncan McGeary said...

I've found a couple of surprisingly easy and effective methods of finding new titles.

One is to simply order a book that someone was looking for, whether that person ever comes back or not.

For instance, based on requests, I orderED ROOM WITH A VIEW and BRIDESHEAD REVISITED.

Another technique is to pay attention to what people RAVE about-- not just like, but love, life-changing.

You get enough people raving about the POWER OF ONE and you order it.

In both of the above examples, you have to have sense if it is a broader phenom, and not just an idiosyncratic thing.

Another trick, once you find a best-selling author, say Chuck Palahniuk you carry ALL his books. Because sometimes the least known book, is the one the customer hasn't found elsewhere.

Like I said, I'm trying to exploit all these techniques first, before I enter the world of frontlist.

tim said...

"Costco"

Duncan McGeary said...

I'm still at that wonderful stage of exploring where everything seems to click.

Maybe that stage won't end -- there are a few hundred years worth of novels, after all.

I'm constricted by space and budget, not possibilities.

In most products, there is a case of diminishing returns. You carry the top 50 boardgames, and after that it just becomes harder.

You carry the top 1000 graphic novels and it becomes harder.

And so on.

Duncan McGeary said...

At the same time, it hasn't worked very well for me to bring in genres like mysteries and romance and westerns.

Nor the current popular fiction: these are readily available everywhere.

Plus, in a very short time, they all become readily available to me -- used, through Linda's store.

Mysteries sell very well. USED.
Current popular fiction sells well. USED. And so on.

The only exception is S.F., because I consider myself a real expert, but even here I concentrate on the best authors and the classics. It's surprising how well Asimov and Clarke and Heinlein still sell.

Duncan McGeary said...

nerd

Anonymous said...

Costco?!?