Monday, August 31, 2009

Holy crap!

I woke up this morning to find that Disney has bought Marvel comics.

This is like finding out you have a new boss. Makes one a little insecure.

The last time Marvel made such a drastic move, they wiped out 2/3rds of the comic shops in America. (They broke up the traditional distribution route, trying to distribute their own comics. They were wretched at it. Eventually, we arrived at the Diamond monopoly we have now.)

I've always thought that Disney has totally mismanaged their own characters, when it comes to graphic material. Hopefully, they'll leave Marvel alone the way Warner Brothers leaves DC comics alone. But I ain't counting on it.

My own suspicion is that Disney will be more inclined to try the mass market route, whether that's smart or not.

It accelerates my move into books, as a safety valve.

I'm sure I'll be talking a lot about this in the future.

No comments: