Monday, October 22, 2007

I'm so far behind my comic reading, that every time I sit down to read, I spend half a day just putting the comics in order, and finding that I'm missing a crucial issue in the middle. Then I have time to read just a few comics.

I've decided to stack my comics on my office coffee table, so that I need only put the newest title on top, and start from the bottom. If I ever want my office to become uncluttered, I've got to start really digging in.

Last night I read Umbrella Academy 1 and 2. It's written by Gerald Way, who is a member of the rock group, My Chemical Romance, which I'm not familiar with. A fun story about 7 young kids (with and without funky superpowers) taken under the wing of the Monocle (ultra rich and ultra British billionaire who is really an alien) to teach them the 'save the world.' Both the writing and the art are very reminiscent of Hellboy, and that's not a bad model.

Read Streets of Glory, an ultra violent Western written by the very reliably ultra violent Garth Ennis.

Caught up with DMZ with the third graphic novel. Really well written stories, about loyalty and torture and the commercialization of war.

Read the first of three story arcs of Astro City the Dark Ages. Set in the 1960's, and told (as ever with Astro City) mostly from the viewpoint of the man on the street, to whom the battles and concerns of superheroes seem Olympian. This is the best Super-hero comic in existence, in my opinion.

Stacked on my table are all the Conan's, Wolverines, Punisher, Runaways, Astonishing X-Men, and Ex Machina I haven't read. 100's of issues.

No comments: