Monday, October 15, 2007

Across the Universe.

I went in all prepared to love it. I love musicals. I love over the top effects. I love the Beatles.

And sure enough, every time a Beatles song came on, the movie took flight. I especially liked the simpler love songs, the reinterpretation of meanings and tones, but also the beautiful melodies applied to a love story. The gospel Let It Be, the schoolboy Little Help From My Friends. The special effects songs were -- interesting. Over the top for sure.

I came back and googled all the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, and took umbrage at the negative reviews.

Woke up this morning and realized that the reviews were partly right. It was a very cliched story. I was amazed that the songs fit so well, but....well, the 60's were more messy than that.

What's the saying, if you remember the 60's you weren't there? Drugs weren't all fun and play and beautiful colors. Living in a rat trap was a bit dirtier and messier. And so on.

Still, it made me come home and put on the Beatles.

Makes me wonder how the younger generations will take to this movie. There were quite a few teenagers there. I know from my experience in the store that the generations following the baby boomers often take a contrarian view of the Beatles, like "quit shoving these guys down our throat."

Hard to imagine disliking all the Beatles.

Anyway, I thought the movie was beautiful, the songs were great, and the love story was moving at times.

4 comments:

The Natives Are Restless said...

I woke up this morning, got outta bed and dragged a comb across my head!

Duncan McGeary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duncan McGeary said...

Went downstairs and had a cup, and looking up I noticed I was late.

Grabbed my coat, grabbed hat, made the bus in seconds flat.

The Natives Are Restless said...

But that bus you made in seconds flat was the BAT...and it had a FLAT! As well as a boken drive shaft, fouled up crank case, worn out belts, etc., etc... You get the idea.