Monday, August 19, 2013

Writing no matter the distraction.

I'm kind of proud of yesterday's effort.

I woke up without a clue what I was going to write.  I went through my usual morning routine, which usually provides a clue.  Nothing.  I was feeling distracted.  Linda and I planned a movie at 3:00 so I only had a few hours, and our Sunday night is our big TV watching night.

I delayed getting started.

What would it hurt if I missed one day? I started to ask myself.

I lay on the bed in the dark and tried to come up with an idea.  A phrase came to mind, then another, and little by little, the scene started to come to me.  Most of what I wrote took some adjustment -- that is, it didn't come out quite the way I wanted.  But I forged ahead.

And in the end, the chapter I produced I think was as good as anything else I've done.  Maybe a little clunky in execution, but the scene felt real, which is the real goal.

So...I'm proud of myself for sticking to the schedule and getting it done.

I'm about 3/4ths of the way finished with Blood of Gold.  I'm going to feel like I really accomplished something if I can get an entire trilogy finished.

I keep coming up with one chapter at a time, though the ending is hazy. Usually by this time I've plotted the rest of the book.  I know I'm going to  have a big Good versus Evil battle at the end, but haven't a clear notion of how it's going to play out.

Meanwhile, I keep writing.

No comments: