Monday, February 27, 2012

A bag of antlers strikes a pose!

Managed to dvr the second half of the Academy Awards, and rushed through it.

Meh.

But that's just the way they are, always have been.

Lots of comments online on how unworthy The Artist was, and why would anyone go see a black and white silent movie set in the 20's?

And my reaction, instead of being defensive is, meh. So don't go see it, it's your loss. I thought it was a really feel good movie and very clever and I don't object to it's winning at all. Though I suspect in hindsight it will look like a weak contender. (By the way, I know everyone plans to wait for it to be on T.V., but I think it works much better in a theater.)

I liked Hugo, too, but I think The Artist was more feel-good.

Other reactions.

Billy Crystal. Oh, that's why I don't color my hair.

Apparently Peter Lorre told his son to forget about acting. Move to France and produce movies!

I kept wanting the snack girls to start hurtling popcorn to the far seats....heads up!

Strike a pose, Jolie!

***********

"Jack Elliot" brings an article on Naked Capitalism to my attention. "Debunking the 'Housing Has Bottomed' meme."

Kind of the same take I have on "shadow" inventory. There is no way that Bend has had a significant drop in inventory -- there were just too many houses built, too many underwater houses. Whether they show up on current inventory stats or not.

And I like what the author says about "waiting a couple of quarters" before deciding.

Well, exactly.

After getting involved way too early on some fizzled out trends, and getting out way too late, I came up with a rule of thumb for my business:

Don't be the first in, or the last out.

If you wait for the first 20% of the way on the up curve, you've done well. If you get out of a trend in the last 20% of a down curve, you've done well. Don't be greedy or impatient and think you'll guess the bottom or the high. If you do, go buy a lottery ticket right away, because you're on a roll.

**********

My cat refuses to lose weight. She figured out after a week or two that we're cutting back, and now she is constantly begging. Even I give in to her once in a while, but Linda doesn't stand a chance.

She has followed me everywhere I go while Linda has been gone. She's been lacking the usual hugs and cuddles.

**********

Started writing a poem yesterday, because three words came to me: "a coward's ease."

So then my brain just starts coming up with juxtaposed words that sound intriguing.

Batching It.

skidding snores on
the boundaries of sleep
other motors
vibrate bones
on slopes of slumber.

unchecked solitude,
a coward's ease,
of bald itch and slippery bides
echoing drips
and hectoring drowse.

plaster seams
plowed in by snow
tropical dreams
and unwashed dishes
that napping hides

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow they have made 'blogger' Bend ugly today.

What is it with google changing format everyday?

Anonymous said...

Don't be the first in, or the last out.

*

Well it doesn't work that way. Apply this discussion to what?

Courting a girl?
Buying stock?
Starting a new biz?

If you wait to ask the girl out somebody else will always beat you to the desert.

Stock? Only liars buy low, and sell high. Real $$$ is always made on insider trading.

Biz? You got to be very early, but not so early you sit on inventory for years, but when demand comes you have to be there and you have to clear well before demand ends. So its the same as stock, but this time you have to be in touch with GOD, because unlike 'insider trading' only god knows when fads like ball-park trading cards will begin and end.

All wealth is just pure dumb luck, and being at the right place at the right time. Often new rich thing they can hit gold twice in a row, ... they tell others like dunc is doing here they know the magic, ... most new rich lose all on the second dice throw.

Look at Bend, and an idiot could buy and house and flip in 2004, by 2007 all lost their ass, prior to 1998 it went no where.

Outside factors, e.g. dumb luck contribute to being a winner.

Optimum buy-low/sell-high, was always a joke, when asked 'how they did it',

War's are won by making less mistakes than the enemy. Money is won by being in the right place at the right time.

Probably the biggest problem with humans is taking their chips off the table and walking away, ... greed. Gold miners are some of the smartest men I have ever come across most will tell you, if you find a deposit once in your life, ... get out. Good advice, ... the odd's of hitting pay-dirt the first time are remote, the odd's of twice are non-existent.

Anonymous said...

Of course I didn't watch the Oscars, but couldn't help follow the lead-up to Cohen, funnier than hell, can't wait to get my pirate copy of the 'dictator' on the streets of China for 10 cents.

Usually these DVD's are on the market the same day as the first screening, attendees capture the movies on their mobiles and the edit's are whisked to Asia, they got technology now that even removes the head's from the bottom of the movie.

The only person or thing interesting about the Oscars was Cohen. Spot On depiction of a Politician in any country, or a lawyer for that matter. The babe-bimbos mercenary's at his arm, ... touching.

Anonymous said...

Pretty sad,... dunc

They used to say that movies went to shit with the talkies...

Today everything is youtube this or that, ... my I hate youtube, ... more than I hate TV.