Friday, September 5, 2008

Laying low.

Just dealing with my motivational level right now.

I seem to have two gears: totally engaged, and totally unengaged.

I'm not proud of it, but there it is.

Summer is over, the customer count has dropped in half.

I got caught flatfooted by our tax bill, which is due mid-October. I'm trying to save up for it, which means getting in all the pre-ordered product, but laying off reorders for a few weeks.

You wouldn't think that would be such a big deal, but when you've been ordering actively for 5 or 6 years, and then suddenly have a freeze, it's harrowing.

So just laying low for a couple more weeks, then step back into the fray.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same here, Duncan: sales are down, just moved into my new shop so expenses have been high and nothing's shipping, meaning that no income is incoming, and I, too, got hit with a big tax bill--and it's due on the 15th. I tend to withdraw and want to avoid thinking about biz. Do unprofitable things like, well, like writing comments.

Duncan McGeary said...

The economy just isn't paying attention to my emotional needs, dammit.

I sympathize with the posters on the BEBB who say things like, "We're tired of all the bad news..."

Yeah, me too. But there it is.

Quimby said...

Dunc, just take some solace in knowing that the sizable risks and effort you undertook with your business resulted in some profit.
Those profits are heavily taxed and are now going to good causes, like the housing bailout, for other "unfortunate" folks around town.

Don't ya just love the Gov't deciding which charity you donate to?

Anonymous said...

Specifically what went up? Employer withholdings? Quarterlies?

State or Federal? City? County? Property Tax on inventory?

Can you use guys explain exactly what went up??

You all say you got 'HIT' but for what?

My guess for DUNC it would be like that gallery, that has to pay $50k on their $5M inventory. It seems like Deschutes County in the past hasn't been taxing inventory the way other county's in Oregon aggressively do so.

Duncan McGeary said...

Not to got into too much detail, it's pretty simple.

We made way more money, and we didn't set enough aside. We didn't pay quarterlies,so even social security can add up.

So...our own fault.