Thursday, June 20, 2019

I've figured out that "Takeover" could be improved by taking one of the characters and expanding on him. As it is, he's a little bit a figure of fun, diminished. In fact, all the original occupiers are less than substantial figures.

If I take this certain character and make him charismatic, someone who everyone follows, it would definitely improve the motivational underpinnings of the plot.

The question is--is the change important enough to risk skewing the plot? It's not possible to simply change a character without making sure it's consistent throughout the book. It's like removing one piece of a puzzle. It can all fall apart.

If I do make this change, do I have time to get it done before I hand it over to Lara? She has her schedule, which I have to fit into.

I'm going to finish the current rewrite, and then decide if I still have time. I've managed to work on 50 pages a day, so I would still have time to go through one more time, and I'm thinking I probably should.

I'm fighting the 100,000 word limit I've set on myself. I may have to stray slightly over that. But only if it improves the book.

I really want to try to deepen the characterizations, the inner dialogue, and bring in a bit more description and telling detail. It might add up to several thousand words.

But all in service to the book. By the end of this, I may have edited this book more than any other. (Not rewrite, per se, because I've completely changed "Faerylander" a bunch of times.) But fiddling with the actual writing, this is probably the most I've done.

It's my most difficult and experimental work--and I feel like it is so close to being good.

No comments: