Tuesday, August 14, 2018

More thoughts about rewriting. (It's almost as if I'm trying to talk myself into being enthusiastic about the process. Probably won't work...)

This I know: I can't plan a book too much in advance. I discover the story by writing. So I'm fleshing out the characters, the setting, the plot as I go along.

The thing about making time for a rewrite is that gives me time to ruminate and think about  these newly created characters, settings, and plots. They are alive, solid, moving--but I can now look at what I've done, live with it for awhile, and what seems to happen is that it all deepens a little bit.

It's like having new roommates, who you start learning more and more about as you live with them. Like moving to a new place and having time to explore the surroundings. Like getting a new job and finding out what the underlying motivations and machinations of your co-workers are.

1 comment:

Dave Cline said...

I watched Brandon Sanderson's youtube lecture series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZDBOc2tX8

In it he mentions an author who write soliloquies, in first person, of his characters -- to get to know them.
"I like Captain Crunch and beer. I wish that there were purple M&Ms. If I have to hear one more Taylor Swift quote about her copyrighting the English language I'm gonna send her a cease&desist myself. If I hold my breath for 90 seconds the veins at my temples start to pulse in time with The Greatful Dead's Truckin'."

That kind of thing.