Thursday, August 9, 2018

Daily "Fateplay" rewrite journal, Day 13.

Going to do need to do the daily quota plus half for the next couple of days to make up for yesterday. Fortunately I'm in the part of the book where not as much rewriting is needed.

I may not have made much forward progress, but I very much cleaned up the storyline.

I think taking more time on a book gives me a chance to consider changes until I become used to the idea, and then to finally let myself do it. For instance, I think it's bothered me for some time that when Numera's father appears to have been taken away that she doesn't do anything about it.

So today, that's my job, to go back and figure out a response that makes sense but doesn't warp the book.

I've now done this several times. I get a sneaking suspicion that there is a hole in the story, or something that doesn't make sense, and I think, "Will anyone notice?" and I move on. But by mulling the story over day after day, I eventually accept that something needs to be done.

The writing mojo is definitely shifting. I'm trying to spend more time with the characters. I really hope to get more into Zach's head, for instance, in "Fateplay." I want the reader to know that I've spent some time really thinking about it.

It's surprising to me how the creative thought can be so wispy when it enters my head, but become so solid when I write it.

I've heard creativity described as a shy pet you must coax out from under the couch. Sometimes inspiration is a soft whisper, a sudden remembrance, a tentative suggestion. I grab at these fragments because they are often outside the box.

No comments: