Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The things you can't say.

I was amused by the interviews KTVZ did about local breweries. They asked existing brewers if there were "too many.(?)" Of course, their answer was, "The more the merrier!"

What else were they going to say?

It sounds really bad if you say, "Oh, no. Not another brewery! That could hurt me...."

It's one of those things you never say, even if you think it.

**********

Linda does the majority of driving on our trips. I'm perfectly O.K. with that. It's her car, her baby, and she likes driving it. It's probably 60 - 40, or maybe 65 -35 on some trips.

Macho wise, though, I've noticed guys like to be the drivers usually.

I think it's because I consider I have very little travel endurance. I get tired quickly. Linda say, "It's not the traveling, it's the people. You talk to strangers for a few hours, and you're exhausted."

Hmmm. Probably right.

**********

A couple of other travel observations:

WiFi is terribly erratic, everywhere we go. We've been spoiled by Bendbroadband, I think. It seems to be quicker and more reliable.

Some motels are awful, others are adequate. I actually ask for a cable when possible, which is usually isn't.


Also, the quality of the motels doesn't have as much to do with the price of the rooms as the locations.

I'm sure it all evens out for the chain, but it makes for a wildly varying degree of quality for the traveler. Like I said, the shabbiest motel cost the most on this trip, and the best cost the least. And you can't really know going in...

***********

We decided to drive all the way home from mid-California. (Turlock). Just push on through, 11 or 12 hours, pick the cat up from the bookstore, and sleep in our own beds tonight. Had a good laugh at the Jon Stewart show last night, and slept like a rock for 9 hours.

Out of food, out of clean clothes. I've had enough of this road life.

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"WiFi is terribly erratic, everywhere we go. We've been spoiled by Bendbroadband, I think. It seems to be quicker and more reliable."

That's because you stay in cheap motels out in the boonies.

BendBroadband does a pretty good job, but nothing extraordinary -- except to confirmed Bend chauvinists.