Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Big Questions

I've started to really contemplate what it is that makes a certain type of story work. I may have tried to do this when I was younger, but mostly from the aspect of what made it more salable, more commercially appealing.

What I'm looking at nowadays is more the core elements.

I was talking to a friend about Prometheus. I've talked to a number of people who didn't like this movie. Well, I like the Science Fiction world they've created in the Alien universe, and the special effects extravaganza.

As I keep trying to tell younger people, when I was younger, all they offered were sci-fi movies with giant ants. Lame. Of course, they immediately say that "like" that kind of campyness. I was surprised that Cameron thought the Batman T.V. series was cool. Hey, maybe as an ironic take 50 years later, but at the time I hated it.

Anyway, other than plot problems and character problems (why the hell did they make Guy Pierce an old man with lousy make-up? Couldn't they have hired an older actor?)

But the big problem, I think, is that the movie tried to deal with the Big Questions, and used a blunderbuss to do it. Most science fiction authors know better -- they approach the Big Questions with a more humble, and certainly a subtler attitude.

Because what happens, I think, when you try to deal with the Big Questions so literally in a S.F. universe is that you reduce them. Make them kind of silly.

1 comment:

Leitmotiv said...

Blunderbuss is accurate! The origination of the alien felt force. Contrived. And it had too many evolutions, with yet another evolution inferred because it STILL didn't look like the final product (it didn't have that true H.R. Giger look: black, shiny, ribbed, ha!).

It also felt like too much of a throwback to the original series. "We need a single dominant female! In panties!" Sigh... boring. It also had a mistake that many horror films do (including the original Alien movie): Just when you thought it was over, it's not over. Then when you think THAT's finally over, it's not over.