Friday, March 9, 2012

Worlds that should have happened.

Got a t-shirt in with the Dire Wolf emblem of the Starks, and the words "Winter is Coming."

I'm thinking how cool it is and then...Wait! The Starks? What a bunch of losers!

I want a Lannister t-shirt. (Well, maybe not the sister-lovin' Lannisters, but the kick-ass short Lannisters.

**********

Silly me. I assumed that Johnny Depp would be the Lone Ranger, not Tonto. He has done the weird makeup thing again. Cool.

So...I'll just get it out there since I assume there will be a lot of this: They couldn't have gotten a real Native American?

Then again, could any Native American play Johnny Depp? I don't think so.

**********

It is just falling dark when I close up at the store at night. Which is quite a change from even a few weeks ago. Another couple of days and it will be full light when I close. Psychologically, it feels very different.

**********

I was talking to a friend about Princess of Mars and how it may have been the first science fiction written in the U.S. (Depending on whether you count Mark Twain and Edgar Allen Poe and so on...)

I read all these books as a kid, and I loved the adventure. I didn't care about whether the science was accurate or not.

Anyway, I have a Steampunk section at the store, which is next to the Retro-Futuristic section, which is next to the Weird Western section, which is next to the Zombies, Vampires and Werewolf section, and I was talking about how Pulp was mixed in with this and how my store reflects my ongoing interest in this whole world that never happened.

The worlds that were possible and imagined but never really developed, except in fiction.

I was talking about how cool it would be to have a big store, and have little sections devoted to each genre.

For instance, a Steampunk section, maybe with a steam-robot of some kind, and pictures and apparel on the wall, and toys and books.

I actually don't think this "dream" store is possible, mostly because the material isn't available on an ongoing basis.

I think I'll do a blog about this problem of availability later, because it's something that no one thinks about.

3 comments:

Luci & Loree said...

What about Jules Verne? Wouldn't he be sci-fi??

Duncan McGeary said...

Ah, but he's French, and Wells was British.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"I want a Lannister t-shirt."

There's a nice one that says: "Damn, it feels good to be a Lannister!"

Just the right tone of arrogance.