Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday Wats.

So the Apple data center in Prineville will be "small" and "essentially run itself."

I know you're probably expecting me to slam it, and the tax incentives it took to get it to come to central Oregon.

But you know what? I think it's a good thing, and could lead to better things. Just as the one data center probably helped lead to this one, we might be able to expect more to come.

Just a couple of days ago, there was talk of hurrying up the improvements to the electrical grid. (Jobs.) Building the center. (Jobs.) Land sales. (Jobs.) There has to be at least some maintenance and security. (Jobs.)

Besides, it's Apple and Google. Put THAT on Prineville's resume....(Steve Jobs...heh.)

I think all this adds up. I look at it like the way I would look at my business. Sometimes you add a product line, for instance, that doesn't immediately add up to much but which by carrying, opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Sure, sometimes it doesn't work. But often it does, so you have to take the chance.

**********

Amazing how fast Linsanity died off.


Also, one of the reasons sports isn't as attractive to me is the lack of any real loyalty. The Colts dropping Peyton Manning, for instance.

I know -- it's not like the players show any loyalty either.

**********

The new Russian company that bought Epic Aircraft. (For baby boomers just the thought of the Russians Are Coming is somewhat boggling.)

They of course tell us that they won't be moving the company away from central Oregon.

**********

"Knopp to Challenge Telfer."

Um. Why?

**********

Had a friend come over and fix a couple of our heaters. He turned off the fuse box thingy, and I couldn't believe how fast the house got cold.

We're just one power failure away from primitive shelters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woodstove.

Jim

Anonymous said...

"I couldn't believe how fast the house got cold."

You might get it tested to see how tight your house is.

Martha said...

"We're just one power failure away from primitive shelters."

Oh my god, never say this to Sunrise unless you have several hours to kill.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Besides, it's Apple and Google. Put THAT on Prineville's resume"

Yes, big names. But Apple and Google will not be "in" Prineville in the same sense that they are in Silicon Valley. I really don't think many investors are going to confuse Prineville with Palo Alto.

It's kinda like the difference between me having a column published in the NY Times and being a columnist for the NY Times.