Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Kindness of Strangers.

I had an odd reaction to Farhad Manjoo's article in Slate: "Independent Bookstores are Expensive, Inefficient, and Don't Deserve to be Saved."

As you might imagine, at first it was, "What a jerk!."

Then it was, oh, this is just an outrageous ploy for attention. Besides, he's the 'tech' guy and not reliable in his assessment.

But you know what? I'm not going to even argue with the contents of the article. (Which I think is mostly bullshit, and wrong.)

The point to me is -- THAT attitude exists. It's not often said out loud, but it is a very strong undercurrent. In the comic business, there are the local comic book shop haters. It's probably a little less politically correct to say the same about local bookstores. But it's there.

This article has gotten 605 comments, and the ones I read were mostly in favor of his view. And it got 754 'likes'. A pretty big confirmation that he touched a nerve.

I think the wisest thing to do is be aware that that sentiment exists, that it is strong, and that there isn't much you can do to change their minds.

Deal with it.

Before I go any farther, I want to say -- I very much appreciate the "local" buyers, and the supporters of independent, locally owned bookstores -- or any other locally owned store.

But my own guess is -- the entire appeal to customers by the movement is pretty ineffective, except at the margins.

My own business model accepts that there is a large percent -- probably the vast majority -- who prefer larger to smaller, and that they will assume that larger will have more, at cheaper prices.

If we have to depend "on the kindness of strangers" I think we're doomed. We should take a cold, hard look at what we can really do in the face of this phenomenon, instead of just really, really wishing the Tinker Bell will get up an fly. Please....Tinker Bell?

So, my reaction is -- this is a bracing reminder of what we are up against, and it's best to take it into account.

4 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

It occurs to me that I'm describing the preverbial --slap in the face for my own good -- here.

I need only look at my own reactions when a local store goes out of business. It's "Darn, that's a real shame."

And then it's on with life. No one looks after your store like you do. In fact, I sort of refuse to appeal for help -- I suppose I would if I was in real trouble, but in the meantime, I'll try to win you over with inventory -- and other intangibles.

Anonymous said...

Well, I prefer to shop for books where people are actually interested in books. Just sayin'...

Is a preverb what happens when you're about to say a verb? :)

Jim

Duncan McGeary said...

It's a verb that echoes...

Anonymous said...

Buying from amazon can count as supporting small bookstores as well, and it's still the "tech" industry. Instead of buying directly from amazon you just buy used from numerous bookstores across the country that use amazon as a storefront.