Monday, November 15, 2010

Of quidditch and flux.

Did you know there are college quidditch teams?

**********

"Developers balk at fees."

Well, of course they do.

**********

"In-Flux" Resorts.

Ha. In-flux is a nice way to put it. (Sounds better than --"Running out of Money" Resorts, or "Nothing here is Selling" Resorts.)

And what part of the resorts are in "trouble"? The part that makes them resorts instead of glorified sub-divisions --you know, the hotels and such.

**********

Linda and I took a walk in the manzanita fields between Century Drive and Tetherow, yesterday.

One thing I'd do if I ran one of these "in-flux" resorts is make sure all the piles of debris were cleared away. Makes them feel kind of abandoned, somehow. Multi-million dollar mansions, and not a mile away, piles of lumber and rocks.

The interesting thing about Tetherow to me, is that very public road that runs through the middle of it (Skyline?) , so that us hoi polloi can gawk. Most of these "in-flux" resorts are pretty much off-limits. (Again, which would seem to make them more exclusive gated communities than "destination" resorts. "Destination" would seem to convey a more welcoming attitude, wouldn't it?) Have I mentioned I hate "gated communities"? They seem so Un-Bendlike; so Un-Oregonlike; hell, Un-American.

**********

The news is that Barnes and Nobles is moving into "games" big time. Well, they've been trending that direction for awhile, now, and I knew it was only a matter of time. I knew from the first month I started carrying Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride that they were too good of games -- that we wouldn't be allowed to have an exclusive on them for very long.

So be it. Not like I wasn't expecting it. Boardgames become a product just like books and toys and sports cards, where "Advantage Big Box." I just have to be smarter.

I'm not sure what's going on locally, but I'm already stocked in games, so not much will change except I'll be less likely to order mass quantities at a time, and more likely to do "Just In Time" ordering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tetherow Destination Resort has two significant public roads intersecting it. Skyline Ranch Road and Metolious drive. The Awbrey Hall fire of the early 90's left the Tetherow property just about tree-less so the wind howls through there much of the year. Tetherow will remain outside the UGB for at least the next 25 years. You won't see a hotel or any significant overnight lodging at Tetherow anytime soon.

Duncan McGeary said...

Succinctly put...