Sunday, November 14, 2010

Love the one you're with.

I always hated that song; it's a repellent philosophy. (At least how I interpreted the Stephen Still's -'one-night-stand'- lyrics.)

But....I'm afraid when it comes to buying stuff, it makes a certain kind of sense. I think it makes all kinds of sense buying the exact thing you want when you have it right in front of you-- even if it's slightly higher in price. (I have a long post about that tomorrow, but I wanted to follow up my Hot Dog entry with a defense of the Local.)

I'm saying, whenever you are in a Local shop, try to buy something, just for the 'team,' you might say.

That isn't quite the same thing as arguing Local versus Mass Market.

This is a huge subject that I'm not sure I want to tackle right now, except to say -- whenever possible, Buy Local. You know, give it a try. Especially if you're enjoying the shopping.

In some ways, though, this was a battle that should have been fought years and years ago. Or maybe it was fought and simply lost.

I would argue that the mass market offers lots of cheap junk; but that most of it is junk. I would argue that a higher price specialty item might have longer lasting value; as well as uniqueness and, usually, a more personable shopping experience.

But more and more, there doesn't seem to be much choice. Many products aren't even available locally anymore. I get calls all the time for product that -- once upon a time -- I would have carried. But the advantage has gone to the mass market in that particular product, and it no longer makes sense for me to carry it.

The one thing I wish people would maybe give a bit more weight to, is the Buy Local experience.

I always use the example of sports cards. Once upon a time sports cards collectors congregated in specialty stores, talking sports, trading and selling and buying cards, soaking up the atmosphere.

A few years later, they are wandering the Big Box aisles, buying the cards for a perceived bargain -- but, I suspect in their heart of hearts, they're wondering why it isn't quite as much fun.

A few years after that, they are in the comfort of their own homes, buying cards even cheaper online. But...well, something's missing.

I think most retail is headed this way. Books, games, comics -- anything with content that can be gotten online. But I also suspect that it will eventually flatten the demand. It won't be quite as much fun as it used to be. We'll hear more and more: Gee -- I really miss the old card/comic/game/toy/book/record store.

1 comment:

Justin Phelan said...

Trying to catch up ;) Going off what you were saying about sports cards transitioning from specialty stores to the internet, the whole reason I got into comics was the atmosphere that's in just about every comic store. I don't see myself being able to make the said transition with comics. You provide a "happy" place where I can go and be comfortable with people that enjoy the same things I do. I just can't imagine why people would rather buy comics online other than the ease of access...