Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The thirst for news.

At first, I discovered the Bubble Blogs. About 3 years ago. Especially the nationally oriented, Housing Bubble Blog. It was fascinating to read the destruction of huge swaths of Florida and California and Nevada and Arizona, and comparing it to the sheer blindness and short-sightedness of the local real estate market and the local media.

Then, as the stock market tanked, I found the national economic blogs, and settled on Calculated Risk, The Big Picture, Naked Capitalism, Financial Armageddon, and Mish's Global.

These became essential reading for me.

Over the last six months, I've pretty much stopped reading the Housing Bubble Blogs (not including Bend's own BendBubble2, which has morphed into an all purpose grumblefest), because that bubble done burst.

Lately, I've strayed from the Financial Blogs, as well.

What the hell. Shrug.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I've strayed from the Financial Blogs"

Yes, the shock and awe is over -- we've all heard enough bad news to last us for awhile. It's time to enjoy summer.

H. Bruce Miller said...

Stopped by your shop yesterday, Dunc, and met your charming wife, who said she was giving you a day off. I'm sure you needed it.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you talk about all the empty parking spaces downtown. I drove around the block three times yesterday before I found one -- and this was on a Monday. Of course it IS the peak or near-peak of the summer tourist season.

But I almost always have trouble finding a parking spot downtown -- much more so than in the Old Mill District.

BTW you're right about BB2 turning into an "all-purpose grumblefest." It's gotten boring. I hardly ever visit it anymore. Buster's sexual fantasies are just about the only thing worth reading, for the entertainment value.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Too much has been written about Bend being some kind of fucking paradise.

I just thought it essential that a real fucking paradise be tossed on the table.

Who needs prison when so many men can use their own minds?

Yes, we have all talked about bubble implosion since 2007, and now we're in the eye of the storm. Soon it will be over, but flowing in the other direction? NO.

Ditto for me DUNC, I haven't touched my WSJ subscription for months, but my wife reads it everyday.

Going back to Malaysia in two weeks, all my houses are now rented. My plan is six weeks, I'll be there during the 'rainy' season.

Financial is simply boring, now that everyone has woke up and smelled the shit.

During the great depression Paris was the place to be, I think during this depression its going to be Bangkok. Just my fucking opinion.