Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hugs and....yawn.....budgeting.

I have a little trick I pull, which is kind of fun. What usually triggers it is when a Dad or Mom or Granddad or Grandma or Uncle has finished buying something for a younger kid, and prompts, "Be sure and thank the Man."

To which, I always respond. "Thank you. But really, you should thank your Mom (or Dad or....). In fact, why don't you give her a big hug!"

Never fails to elicit a warm hug, and big smiles all around. It's fun to see.

(I'm probably just reinforcing the money=love equation, but it still feels good.)

**********

It's beginning to sink in what a change this new budget is going to be, for the next 28 weeks, or so.

I've gotten in the habit of constantly looking for opportunities, for experimenting, for tinkering with the mix. If I've seen a really good deal, I've jumped on it, even if it stretched the budget.

Now?

I want to maintain existing inventory. Turn profits into cash instead of more product. The store is full. It is stocked in every category. I want to maintain this level for the time being, and continue to replace everything that I consider to be 'evergreen' but let everything else sell out.

If I do that, I'll still have a constantly changing product mix, but it will be more replacement than addition.

The budget is sufficient to keep the store at a high level-- but only if I don't divert some of it into a sudden impulse buy.

If you've seen my store, you know it is time.

I know it is time.

My impulses haven't quit been retrained yet. You saw how sweet temptation came at me last week, with the "Appreciation Sale" from Diamond. I managed to restrained myself to ordering just the stuff I was going to order anyway...

It is very much like dieting; in fact I often combine the two, but not this time. This time it's all about the budget.

I'm going to try to turn my idle hands into other necessary activities. Spent a couple of days last week filing comics, for which I'd fallen behind. I have to learn my new POS computer, and enter my inventory. Everything always needs a good dusting and cleaning....

About as fun as listening to someone list their diet, but there it is. It's what I need to do.

**********

No comments: